D Murphy

Default Lagun Lathes

Gunner wrote in
:

Ill have to check again..but the last several knee mills I paid any
attention two, were badged Taiwan.

Perhaps they are like Delta products?

These days where anything is made is a crapshoot. Several well known
Japanese builders are now making machines in China.

The only reason I know about Lagun is that I saw the factory in Spain. They
are actually in the Basque region which for the most part doesn't consider
itself as a part of Spain. The Basque are an interesting culture to say the
least. At the time I was there gunsmithing was a mandatory course in
school. The Basque region is very industrialized and there are several
machine tool builders in the area (Elgoibar and Eibar). They have a lot of
capability and build some very fine equipment. They also make some of the
best custom shotguns you'll ever lay eyes on, but in very small quantities.

All in all a very pretty part of the world filled with good people and good
food. The pace in the factories is very slow by our standards but the
craftsmanship is very high. I'd go back in a minute if given the chance.

--

Dan