gw

Default spraying poly?

wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:40:42 -0400, "gw" wrote:

Surprisingly, I was able to obtain excellent results spraying water-based
poly on my kitchen cabinets using a $79.00 "HVLP" system I bought at
Rockler. Cheap plastic gun and it sounds like an Electrolux - but after
some
practice the finish is quite nice.

I bought the same unit and tried Minwax water-based poly and had mixed
results. Even though I locked into a 4:1 mix of poly/water, I wound
up with puddling on some pieces. Everything was done flat
(stained/fished before assembly). The Rockler unit is cheap and
generally effective, but it would be nice if they had some variables
in the nozzles, a better manual, and better instructions or a marked
dial on the gun.

I didn't thin the poly at all. A little trial and error with the dial got me
good results.