Default Liability: I'm not responsible for your kids!

"I think anybody in their right mind would jump in."

Certainly this DA is a complete moron, as is anyone who expects someone
who can't even swim to jump into a rain swollen creek to try to save
someone. This lady can be faulted for not doing the right thing by
taking the child back to his father the second time, or at least
keeping him away from the creek. However, I don't see where legally
she did anything wrong. She was not in charge of the kid, the father
was. I would almost guarantee this conviction will be overturned on
appeal. But it just shows you what hell some ass of a DA can put you
through, using public money. By the time it's over, you will be
broke and have your reputation ruined.