Harry K

Default Air Lifting

Bob wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:22:32 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

"John McGaw" wrote in message news:UGZ2f.11947
Somehow it just doesn't seem as though lifting water that distance
should be so difficult (unless you are talking bucket on a rope). For
$40.00 you can buy a simple centrifugal pump that is rated at a 23ft
lift. http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2DC126FB

A pump that pumps to a 23 foot head probably isn't going to move much water at 20 feet.

Bob

You have to read the whole rating. A pump is rated at "X" GPM at a
given head. This pump ad says the max suction lift is 23' It will pump
UP against the head a lot higher I imagine. They don't have the
GPM/head curve in this ad.

The ad says max lift with no mention of suction. The pump will pump a little water 23 feet up, and not much more. It is
obviously a sump pump. Sump pumps don't generally generate much pressure.

Bob

Just a note: In a technical listing "lift" regarding pumps is ALWAYS
the suction height. Head is what it will lift to. I see the point was
clarified below. The pump under discussion is going to deliver all he
wants plus some. Probably empty his truck tank in under a minute.

Second note: Max theoretical suction for any pump is 34 ft at sea
level dropping as altitude rises. For practical purposes allowing for
tolerances, slippage, pipe friction etc. a rule of thumb is 26' unless
you are very high. The 23 ft spec is well within reason for this pump.

Harry K