Chris F.

Default Severed CRT necks on Old Zeniths

The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up
on a forum at www.mythbustersfanclub.com. I've never seen a TV explode, but
I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed
CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the
scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube
eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine
in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced
technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's
years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story.
But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still
remember this unique problem.