Ecnerwal

Default "Dancing" machinery - how to make them stay put?

In article ,
davefr wrote:

I took a look in my Mcmaster catalog. There must the hundreds of
different sheet rubber formulations and thickenesses.

We used to put "isosorb" or something like that under the vacuum pumps
around the lab. Crossed neoprene grids, you could stack a few layers for
extra absorption, and put a hunk of steel on the top to keep the machine
foot from punching down through. Could also get pre-made foot pads, but
they cost more, and we were always on a tight budget. One figured out
the per-foot loading and put in pads of an appropriate are to get the

McMaster has similar, but not the same, material under "Vibration
Damping Pads" (Pg 1224-5)

"Wonder Rib" pads from MSC (pg 1655) seem to be more similar to the ones
I used. I have no idea if they are better or worse than other styles,
simply that those are the style I have used.

There was supposed to be some advantage from the shape in terms of
decoupling the vibration, but I don't know that it was anything more
than sales hype.