Ed Huntress

Default Steel Mixtures

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Google-groups Ed Huntress and send him an email. He's forgotten more
than most of us have ever known about steel alloys. He used to hang out
here.

Somebody told me in email that my name came up. My narcissistic gene got the
best of me.

Sorry, I've never studied cold behavior of steel in any detail. I was always
interested in the hot side. I know as much about it as the average hack.

However, here's a good article that should serve the purpose. It's
layman-friendly, but gives enough info for a serious writer who wants some
background. Hint: Manganese is the big player. But for old alloys, nickel
might be the alloying ingredient that you'd want to put in play in a
historical story:

http://www.key-to-steel.com/Articles/Art136.htm

Happy writing.

Ed Huntress

(If I still have the "3" in my return address, remove it before sending me
e-mail.)