Eric R Snow

Default "Dancing" machinery - how to make them stay put?

On 11 Oct 2005 17:23:08 -0700, wrote:

One problem I have encountered is that gyroscopic precession causes
the buffer to slowly turn. Even though it's on 3 rubber feet the force
acting on the buffer is pretty strong so the whole thing spins slowly.

Gyroscopic precession requires that the gyro's rotational axis be
displaced. If the buffer is just sitting there spinning, it's not
precessing. If the shaft is tilted while spinning, and tries to twist
90 degrees to the applied force as it tilts, that's precession.
Most machinery that walks around is suffering some sort of
vibration. The machine may jump vertically, or might have some mode of
alternating its weight between its feet while moving the free foot in
some direction so that it moves around. Balancing should be tried
first, then some soft material used under the feet to maintain floor
contact while allowing a bit of vertical movement. Or bolt it firmly to
the floor.

Dan

Dan,
Help me out here please. A certain gyroscope has a rod concentric to
the axis of the wheel that extends away from the wheel a couple
inches. The end of this rod runs in a bearing and is held captive by a
couple retaining rings. This bearing fits in a housing that pivots on
the end of another rod. This rod is perpendicular to the axis of the
gyroscope wheel. The gyroscope is spun up with the rod end placed in
the bearing and the rod (and hence the gyroscope wheel axis)
horizontal. This pretty much mimics the grinder setup. The grinder is
a motor with a shaft extending out about 4 inches. At the end of the
shaft is a wheel about 8 inches in diameter. The wheel is balanced so
there is little vibration. When the wheel is spinning the motor and
wheel combination turn slowly around the axis of the pedestal. If the
gyroscope is spun up it will also turn slowly around the vertical
axis, won't it? If this isn't precession can you tell me what it is?
If I'm wrong about something I want to know so my error can be
corrected.
Thank You,
Eric R Snow