Peter

Default What is a good brand of lighting fixture ???

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:42:26 -0700, "Roger Taylor" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
5 of the light fixtures I have replaced within the past 4 years have
become defective. All were purchased from Home Depot ( I guess
made in China, which is garbage).....However I haven't found anything
that has quality in any of the chain stores.
I need a 4' 4 light flourescent in the Kitchen.... a hanging fixture for
the
dinette, an entrance foyer light and 3 motion detectors for
outdoors.
All were replaced within the past few years (replacements were from Home
Depot) and all have failed. All of the other fixtures in the house
have
about 15 - 25 years on them and are working fine.
Are there any quality lighting fixture brands that I should be looking
for ??
Thanking you in advance !!!

It sounds odd that the fixtures *you* have replaced have all failed within
just four years. I have had good luck with Chinese made stuff, as much of
American brands are, if you look carefully. Were the fixtures properly
installed, wired, and grounded?

Just the ones from Home Depot have failed !! I've installed several others
some were antique and used, others were newer fixtures that I purchased
about 15 years ago before all the stuff came in from china. These worked
and are working fine.

Nope... only the chinese ones from Home Depot failed. Of course Home
Depot deals with a lot of cheap stuff anyway.... so you get what you pay for.
Just by opening the fixture and checking the wiring...you can see the cheapness.

OT.... I opened up a new work piece support stand this morning... made in China,
the inside of the legs were already rusting, and I could pour rust chips out of them.
No longer had the receipt so I didn't bother returning it to the store, but this is a
real fine example of the garbage that has been coming in from China.

But I am looking for suggestions on good quality fixtures...ones that are made in
america are preferable. Had enough of the Home Depot garbage.

Peter.