The Natural Philosopher

Default Wanted: Advice on Garage Racking

Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:13:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

David Longley wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

WWW.RAPID-RACKING.CO.UK

Go for galvanised.

Don't TOUCH the sheds on this one. These guys make senisbly priced stuff
that lasts. Used em for factory stores, and in my garage. The best IMHO.

I just received their catalogue today. Clearly this is better than
shed junk.

They seem to do several different types of galvanised shelving.
Which one did you use?

I am pretty sure it was waht is now called Rapid 2 Galvanised, with
chipboard shelves.

Still fine after 5 years.
The Rapid 1 stuff is stiffer along the beams and suitable for heavier
so I reckon its strong enough.

I see they also do a dexion style system with braces for those who must.

I've used their heavy duty stuff as well in company stores.

None of it has ever broken or bent. It is just utterly solid stuff that
seems to last forever.

Does what it says on the tin etc.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl