Default Sump Pump , whats my best solution for power failure

"Standard sump pumps use an awfully lot of juice (10A is common). It
would
be much cheaper to put in a separate battery-backed up pump than buying
UPS that could handle this kind of current. And that gives you the
added
peace-of-mind of having a second pump if something happens to the main
one...

As I noted elsewhere in this thread, I installed a Basement Watchdog
for
well under $200 (may have even been $150). Works great. Occasionally
test it by unplugging the main pump and sticking around until it runs
(it
alerts you with an audible beep when it does -- and you have to reset
it
before it quits beeping).

The only thing I did that you might want to do differently is that I
output
the backup pump to the same pipe as the main pump (each pump has its
own
check valve). This was mainly due to plumbing considerations: The
pipe
goes through a crawlspace, through the garage, then runs underground
for
about 150' into our pond. But if possible, it would be best to have
two
completely independant pumps with their own waste lines. I'm safe as
far as
pump failure, but if the line clogs or a check valve blows, I still
have
issues... "

All excellent advice. The discharge pipe is something that is often
overlooked and can be a consideration especially depending on where it
goes. For a basement like being discussed here, I would definitely
have a second pump installed to turn on slightly higher than the main
one. And I think making it one of the water driven ones, with a
seperate discharge, is likely the way to go.

Just thought of one additional question for the OP. Does the current
install have a check valve in the discharge line? If not, water in the
line could be running back into the sump pit and that could be a reason
the pump cycles back on so quickly.