Tim Fischer

Default Sump Pump , whats my best solution for power failure

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
consider a large UPS to plug in your main pump

Standard sump pumps use an awfully lot of juice (10A is common). It would
be much cheaper to put in a separate battery-backed up pump than buying a
UPS that could handle this kind of current. And that gives you the added
peace-of-mind of having a second pump if something happens to the main
one...

As I noted elsewhere in this thread, I installed a Basement Watchdog for
well under $200 (may have even been $150). Works great. Occasionally I
test it by unplugging the main pump and sticking around until it runs (it
alerts you with an audible beep when it does -- and you have to reset it
before it quits beeping).

The only thing I did that you might want to do differently is that I output
the backup pump to the same pipe as the main pump (each pump has its own
check valve). This was mainly due to plumbing considerations: The pipe
goes through a crawlspace, through the garage, then runs underground for
about 150' into our pond. But if possible, it would be best to have two
completely independant pumps with their own waste lines. I'm safe as far as
pump failure, but if the line clogs or a check valve blows, I still have
issues...

-Tim