Ross Mac

Default Intermittent static when viewing cable, cable ready problem?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an intermittent static problem on one tv in my house. When
watching cable short and annoying blasts of video and audio static
occur repeatedly until I give trying to watch. Or ometimes it only
happens once a day and will be days before it happens again. Two
diffent cable tech say it is the tv. The other tv in the house does
not have this problem. I finally switched our second tv with the one
that has the problem and the static has not happened since.

The tv with the problem is a 31" Toshiba. When playing dvd's (using
either the svid or composite video input) the image is perfect the
static never intrudes.

If the problem was in that line (wiring or connections) then I believe
the problem would occur on whatever tv was in use in that room. I am
left to believe that the problem must be in the cable ready portion of
the tv. Anyone know any common problems or thing I should check on the
cable ready board??

I can check and replace electronics, I work on pinball machines. But I
have schematics and know the common pinball aliments.

Thanks,
Dug

My guess would be connections as others have posted. Whether at the splitter
or in the set. Try testing the set at a neighbors house.
If it is the set and you want to try your hand at fixing it then get a
bright light and a magnifying glass and look for cracks or dark spots in the
solder connections at the tuner. Usually it will be a part that runs warm
and is moving back and forth when the set is on or off or maybe a single
sided board without enough solder. Just heat up the connection and run some
solder into any connection that looks suspicious. Also check for discolored
connections. They could be the cause too but no guarantee. Please make sure
to unplug the TV not just turn it off just to be safe...
Another idea would be to post this on sci.electronics.repair and make sure
to leave the full model number...There are some excellent techs over there
and you might just have a well known bug with an easy fix.....good luck...