Christopher Tidy

Default Lagun Lathes

Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 23:23:35 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Decent lathes. Most are Taiwanese..some are Chinese. However..they are
made very well, for the commercial manufacturing industry, so are
lightyears ahead of a "consumer" lathe .

I would rather own a Lagun knee mill, than any bridgeport.

Gunner

Just out of interest, what's your objection to the Bridgeports? Some day
I want to get a mill, and a Bridgeport was pretty high on my preference
list...

Chris

While the controls are basicly the same..and indeed are in effect
copies of Bridgeports..compared to a much beefier Lagun..a Bridgeport
is Gumby. Much less rigid. And with any miller..rigidity is the key.

A Gorton Mill Master ( 1-22) is still beefier yet, though it has some
issues (like a shorter Z travel) and a lack of parts. Ive used all of
them..own a Gorton, when I could have owned any of them. Shrug..if I
get another..it will likely be a Lagun, simply because of the longer Z
travel and ease in purchasing parts.

In fact..I may have one shortly. Shrug. Depends on if the owner wants
a newer one or not.

Gunner

Thanks for the opinion. I'll bear it in mind if I'm looking for a mill.
When I used a Bridgeport I thought it was a nicely made machine, and
didn't have any problems with accuracy, but then I was machining
aluminium. If I had my own mill I would most likely be machining steel
much of the time. A guy offered me a 60" machine at a good price a few
years back (think it was a Cincinnati) but it seemed a bit big and I
didn't have the cash to buy it there and then.

Best wishes,

Chris