Joseph Meehan

Default Sump Pump , whats my best solution for power failure

wrote:
We just had a french drain system put in the house about 3 months ago.
We did this because water came up from the water table and through the
basement floor and flooded about 1/3 of the basement about 2 inches
thick...anyways, we only see water typucally during the srping thaw,
but as I write this MA is going through a heavy rain cycle, supposed
to last a couple days....anyways, the french drain is working great
(here is a video of my setup working,
http://www.nickduda.com/fdrain.wmv ). The pit fills up in about 30-40
seconds, and the pump send the water out in about 10 seconds...I got
a powerful pump fromt he install company. I decided to not go with a
battery backup solution at the time of install, it was like 500 bucks
more.

Since the french drain was put in, I've fully finsihed the basement
off with a new set of stairs and carpet. The more i sit here tonight i
worry what i would do if i lost power... i mean the pump has been
working for last 5 hours....on for 10 seconds, off for 40
seconds....repeats cycle. What should I do? Generator? Battery back?
If so is this somethign i can do or should I pay someone to do it.
Because my system runs so nice now, and we dont have any water issues
unless a HEAVY HEAVY rain or the spring thaw i'm not to worries about
my pump failing (i continue to test it even when its not in
use)....but i worry about a power failure, granted we barely get them.

Thoughts?

Consider these ideas.

Battery back up only works as long as the battery will power it. Pumps
draw a lot of power if they pump much water. Generally batteries will fail
during any extended outage.

Generators will work, as long as you are around to make sure they stay
running as needed. Be careful not to run it inside. People who have done
so, don't always live to tell about it.

Water powered pumps are available where there is city water. Most don't
pump a great deal of water, but will work as long as you have water
pressure. Some can be set to turn on by themselves as needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit