Bill Janssen

Default ? Meter to test thermoelectric potential of unknown metal

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 02:18:05 GMT, the renowned Bill Janssen
wrote:

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

Do you have it in hand? Unless this twigs somebody's memory, you might
want to post some high-res photos of the device. It sounds like it's
working on the electrochemical potential of the metals.

Why do you think the meter isn't repairable? Is the movement totally
destroyed? I've managed to fix some analog meter movements that looked
pretty busted up. Is it taut-band or jeweled?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ok its taut-band and the taut-band is broken or melted or something. So
to repair this
meter I would have to replace the taut-band and I think that is beyond
my ability and
equipment. A replacement meter would probably be less expensive than
paying someone
to repair this one.

I have been looking for a shop that repairs this type meter but so far I
have only one possible
candidate. This time Google has not been my friend :-)

BTW I have repaired sticky meters and such in the past.
Bill K7NOM