Bill Janssen

Default ? Meter to test thermoelectric potential of unknown metal

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM
Cydrome Leader

Bill Janssen wrote:
My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

What happened to the broken meter?
Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 02:18:05 GMT, the renowned Bill Janssen
wrote:

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

Do you have it in hand? Unless this twigs somebody's memory, you might
want to post some high-res photos of the device. It sounds like it's
working on the electrochemical potential of the metals.

Why do you think the meter isn't repairable? Is the movement totally
destroyed? I've managed to fix some analog meter movements that looked
pretty busted up. Is it taut-band or jeweled?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Bill Janssen

wrote:

[...]

Ok its taut-band and the taut-band is broken or melted or something. So
to repair this
meter I would have to replace the taut-band and I think that is beyond
my ability and
equipment. A replacement meter would probably be less expensive than
paying someone
to repair this one.

I have been looking for a shop that repairs this type meter but so far I
have only one possible
candidate. This time Google has not been my friend :-)

BTW I have repaired sticky meters and such in the past.
Bill K7NOM
Jeff Wisnia

Bill Janssen wrote:

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the
metal might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

If they still have the probes, why don't you get your hands on an old
thermocouple meter like this one on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/a9bez

Connect the probes to it and play around with a couple of known metals.
With that info, plus consulting an electrochemical potential table, it
should be easy to "calibrate" the meter.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Bill Janssen wrote:

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the
metal might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

Hey, isn't this the kind of function you were talking about, the text
says, "Sorts alloy scrap, verifies parts in receiving, inspection for
proper alloys."

http://tinyurl.com/8bh4m

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 03:47:28 GMT, the renowned Bill Janssen
wrote:

Ok its taut-band and the taut-band is broken or melted or something. So
to repair this
meter I would have to replace the taut-band and I think that is beyond
my ability and
equipment. A replacement meter would probably be less expensive than
paying someone
to repair this one.

I have been looking for a shop that repairs this type meter but so far I
have only one possible
candidate. This time Google has not been my friend :-)

BTW I have repaired sticky meters and such in the past.
Bill K7NOM

Chances are that it's a standard meter movement, so you just have to
figure out what the sensitivity is (and maybe the internal
resistance). If there are some electronics driving it, it would
likely be non-critical 1mA movement or something like that (much lower
current and it compromises robustness).

Why don't you crack it open and have a look? You can sub a digital
meter and stick it on some known metal for the purpose of getting an
idea of the sensitivity.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 02:18:05 GMT, Bill Janssen
wrote:

My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

This is a pure guess based on zero evidence!

If I've guessed the right system it's the electrodes that are
special and the meter's pretty standard. I would expect one
electrode to be a solid metal contact and the other to be some
sort of electrolyte pad - perhaps a bit like a Q-tip dunked in
saline solution.

Dependent on the contact potential of the test metal this
"battery" will develop up to about a volt with a source impedance
of tens or hundreds of ohms. A a typical 1mA 100ohm meter should
be OK with enough series resistance added to bring it down to the
same sensitivity as the original meter.

As a very long shot - are you sure the meter's dud? A
completely dried out electrode pad would also give nil reading.

Jim

Doug White

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

This link seems to be busted. I pasted the full link below, but it will
need some splicing:

http://www.acromag.com/parts.
cfm?Model_ID=1&Product_Function_ID=19&Category_ID= 11&Group_ID=2

Interesting looking gadget, but not cheap.

Doug White
Bill Janssen

Doug White wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that was the type of information I was looking for. I don't
think my friend
will be happy with that price however.

The existing meter is just a sensitive meter with some test leads. I
can't test the meter
sensitivity because of the broken pivot (taut-band) The meter is 7
inches wide
so finding another movement will be difficult, I think.

Thanks for the help
Bill K7NOM

Hi, Bill.
I don't think the current goes through the band. It is just a spring
fastened to the indicator, instead of using a shaft with jewel
bearings, etc. The coils should still be ok, unless the band is gone
because someone put the meter on a 12 volt storage battery and ran so
much current throught the meter that the shock also took out the band.

Do you have access to some sensetive meters? Most hams have one or two
in a junk box somewhere. Try substituting a 100 microamp meter and see
if the thing will give any indication. Also try a digital multimeter
using the lower current ranges as a substutute meter movement. It won't
care how it's wired or minimally overloaded a bit.

Sounds like a good weekend project!

Good luck,
Paul KD7HB

Jeff Wisnia

Doug White wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

Hmm, it appeared busted to you? I wonder if that's got anything to do
with something I read in the business section of the Boston Globe within
the last couple of days about a couple of the upper eschelon internet
"backbone" data carriers who are having some sort of hissy catfight?
The article said that could possibly disrupt internet communications
between parts of the web in different geographic areas.

I checked that tinyurl before I posted it, and it worked. I always do
that, because of my long standing anality about hating to be cought in a
mistake by anyone other than myself. :-)

I checked just now and that tinyurl still worked fine from here in Red
Sox country, where we're in mourning for the next week.

Interesting looking gadget, but not cheap.

That's what I thought too. Looking at its two replacement "probes" (at
$500 EACH) I gather that one is a Peltier thermoelectrically cooled
plate and the other one is a heated probe. I'm assuming that's done to
magnify the thermoelectric potential effect, to make it easier to
distinguish between different alloys in the same metal "family". Anyone
here able to confirm my speculation?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Doug White

Doug White wrote:

wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

I live near Boston, and although it didn't work this morning, the link
seems to be OK now. I don't know exactly how tinyurl works, but they may
have had a temprorary hiccup.

Doug White
Bob Engelhardt

Doug White wrote:
I live near Boston, and although it didn't work this morning, the link
seems to be OK now. ...

Yeah, me too. And IIRC, it wasn't a 404 message, but something really
weird. Bob

DoN. Nichols

According to Jeff Wisnia :
Doug White wrote:

[ ... ]

This link seems to be busted. I pasted the full link below, but it will
need some splicing:

http://www.acromag.com/parts.
cfm?Model_ID=1&Product_Function_ID=19&Category_ID =11&Group_ID=2

[ ... ]

Hmm, it appeared busted to you? I wonder if that's got anything to do
with something I read in the business section of the Boston Globe within
the last couple of days about a couple of the upper eschelon internet
"backbone" data carriers who are having some sort of hissy catfight?
The article said that could possibly disrupt internet communications
between parts of the web in different geographic areas.

Hmm ... I hadn't heard of that problem. Looking at the internet
health report, the only thing a bit slow at the moment is my (current)
ISP talking to itself. :-)

http://scoreboard.keynote.com/scoreboard/Main.aspx

I checked that tinyurl before I posted it, and it worked. I always do
that, because of my long standing anality about hating to be cought in a
mistake by anyone other than myself. :-)

It worked for me -- enough to scare me at the price for that
otherwise desirable gadget. :-)

I checked just now and that tinyurl still worked fine from here in Red
Sox country, where we're in mourning for the next week.

Sorry about that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Martin H. Eastburn

Might be a simple - return to be fixed for a repair charge....
Might have to sweat talk with some options or goodies...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bill Janssen wrote:
Doug White wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Bill Janssen

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Might be a simple - return to be fixed for a repair charge....
Might have to sweat talk with some options or goodies...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

I would need a Time Machine to go back in time to the era that the company
still existed

Bill K7NOM

Bill Janssen wrote:

Doug White wrote:

Wisnia wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Rick

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
My scrap yard friend had/has a meter with two probes that when

applied
to an unknown metal will, from the needle defection, tell what the

metal
might be.
I assume it measures the thermoelectric effect The meter is

seriously
damaged and is
probably not repairable

Their meter is now broken and they asked me to repair or find

another.
The broken one was manufactured by Chemet Products of San Francisco.
That company seems to no longer exist.

So, does anyone know of a similar meter. I don't even know how to

search
on Google for such a device. Mainly I don't know what to call it.

Bill K7NOM

I would also assume it measures thermoelectric voltage. I have a meter
at work that connects directly to a T type thermocouple. If it has the
meter movement sensitivity printed anywhere I'll let you know. Your
meter face may also have it but sometimes you can't see it unless you
look pretty hard...

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:57:34 GMT, the renowned "Rick"
wrote:

I would also assume it measures thermoelectric voltage. I have a meter
at work that connects directly to a T type thermocouple. If it has the
meter movement sensitivity printed anywhere I'll let you know. Your
meter face may also have it but sometimes you can't see it unless you
look pretty hard...

If it's a straight connection to the movement, it may show both a
current and the internal resistance (eg. 50uA/500 ohms), and in the
case of a thermocouple meter like yours, it may have a presumed
resistance value for the total thermocouple circuit (eg. 10 ohms).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Rick

wrote:

I would also assume it measures thermoelectric voltage. I have a

meter
at work that connects directly to a T type thermocouple. If it has

the
meter movement sensitivity printed anywhere I'll let you know. Your
meter face may also have it but sometimes you can't see it unless

you
look pretty hard...

If it's a straight connection to the movement, it may show both a
current and the internal resistance (eg. 50uA/500 ohms), and in the
case of a thermocouple meter like yours, it may have a presumed
resistance value for the total thermocouple circuit (eg. 10 ohms).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yeah, I do recall seeing something about 10 ohms on the back of it.
Someone was throwing it out and it looked lonely so I took it in....

Bill Janssen

wrote:

I would also assume it measures thermoelectric voltage. I have a meter
at work that connects directly to a T type thermocouple. If it has the
meter movement sensitivity printed anywhere I'll let you know. Your
meter face may also have it but sometimes you can't see it unless you
look pretty hard...

If it's a straight connection to the movement, it may show both a
current and the internal resistance (eg. 50uA/500 ohms), and in the
case of a thermocouple meter like yours, it may have a presumed
resistance value for the total thermocouple circuit (eg. 10 ohms).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I looked for spec.'s down in a corner etc. nothing found. I could open it up
and measure the resistance but that won't give me the sensitivity.

Unless I find someone that can rebild the meter I think this thing is
going into the scrap bin.

Thanks everyone.
Bill K7NOM
Jeff Wisnia

Bill Janssen wrote:

Ok its taut-band and the taut-band is broken or melted or something. So
to repair this
meter I would have to replace the taut-band and I think that is beyond
my ability and
equipment. A replacement meter would probably be less expensive than
paying someone
to repair this one.

Sam Goldwasser tells us how he repaired one....

Maybe you can too.

Rwemember, you can only succeed as far as you dare to fail, Bill. :-)

I tore into my son's cell phone this afternoon and managed to get its
erratic keyboard working fine again by cleaning out what looked like
dried up Pepsi in the key contact area.

Read this description by Goldwasser, he who repairs everything
electronic, and maybe you'll have a go at fixin' it. (Or maybe not....)

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/...va.htm#cvartbs

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Bill Janssen

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that link. I am considering trying to do some thing like
Sam's fix. My meter is different
so the repair jig will be different. Sam questions the calibration and
that is my concern
also but with care it should be close. The danger is I might make things
worse, and before I do
that I would like to make sure there was no "Expert" repair available.

Thanks
Bill K7NOM

Choosing a HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR for QUICK HOT WATER DELIVERY or for HOT WATER ON D'MAND is now a whole lot easier. [email protected] Home Repair 22 June 7th 06 01:09 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Gas meter test point David Hearn UK diy 8 January 27th 04 03:08 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM