Edwin Bland

Default Carpal Tunnel ???

Hi Grant,

It sounds like you have multiple environmental factors which could each on
its own produce CTS like symptoms.
Riding a bike or motorcycle is a classic environmental source of median
nerve compression in the wrist. Many times people also get symptoms as a
result of having tight muscles in the neck (compresses the nerve bundle as
it exits the neck musculature). It's also commonly misdiagnosed as a hand
problem... when in fact the problem resides in the neck... and vice-versa...
so do your best to get a good explaination from your health care provider
prior to allowing anyone to cut on you. The diagnosis should make sense....
after all... it's supposed to be science based...

What do you do for work? Often times peoples work or hobbies are the source
of the problem & simply altering the way the activities are done can make
the problems go away.

I agree with the assessment of not wanting anyone to be moving bones around
until the problem has been properly diagnosed by a physician. The good PT's
can make a reasonably good assessment & if it's something that needs an MD
to see... they should refer you back to an MD.... Chiropractors should do
the same.... but in my experience... they often times don't until the
problem is worse than it initially was....

Best Regards,

Edwin Bland

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message

What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

have an mri. i had numbness in a few fingers that turned out to be
ruptured disk in my neck, causing a vertebrae pinching the spinal cord. a
chiropractor pushing around the bones could paralyze you.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

An MRI is the wrong diagnostic to start with. You want a nerve conduction
test in both wrists, this will positively diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome.
Other common sources of pain in the hand are arthritis or nerve damage
farther up (shoulder, neck).

I've anecdotally heard that chiropractors can sometimes help with the kind
of back injuries middle aged workers often get, which is basically a
too-weak muscle going into spasm mode. I have never heard they were
otherwise anything but scam artists. In 52 years I have never darkened
their door nor paid for anyone else to. I guess I don't believe in 'em
much.

I have hand pain too, and it bothers me quite a bit. I have medium carpal
tunnel damage in both wrists, and I'm going to have the operations and see
how much if any it helps before I even go looking elsewhere. I can no
longer play guitar, and I can't ride my motorcycle longer than about 45
miles without my hands going numb. It may be I have multiple things going
on too.

GWE