Randy Replogle

Default Carpal Tunnel ???

What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy
Charles Spitzer

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

have an mri. i had numbness in a few fingers that turned out to be ruptured
disk in my neck, causing a vertebrae pinching the spinal cord. a
chiropractor pushing around the bones could paralyze you.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Tom Gardner

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

You are a victim! Who can you sue??? (end rant)

How's your sugar? Blood pressure? Weight? Only a nerve conduction test
can tell for sure.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:05:11 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.

You are a victim! Who can you sue??? (end rant)

You must be responding to a different post than the rest of us see.

Grant Erwin

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message

What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

have an mri. i had numbness in a few fingers that turned out to be ruptured
disk in my neck, causing a vertebrae pinching the spinal cord. a
chiropractor pushing around the bones could paralyze you.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

An MRI is the wrong diagnostic to start with. You want a nerve conduction test
in both wrists, this will positively diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome. Other
common sources of pain in the hand are arthritis or nerve damage farther up
(shoulder, neck).

I've anecdotally heard that chiropractors can sometimes help with the kind of
back injuries middle aged workers often get, which is basically a too-weak
muscle going into spasm mode. I have never heard they were otherwise anything
but scam artists. In 52 years I have never darkened their door nor paid for
anyone else to. I guess I don't believe in 'em much.

I have hand pain too, and it bothers me quite a bit. I have medium carpal tunnel
damage in both wrists, and I'm going to have the operations and see how much if
any it helps before I even go looking elsewhere. I can no longer play guitar,
and I can't ride my motorcycle longer than about 45 miles without my hands going
numb. It may be I have multiple things going on too.

GWE

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:17:34 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:
Charles Spitzer wrote:

have an mri. i had numbness in a few fingers that turned out to be ruptured
disk in my neck, causing a vertebrae pinching the spinal cord. a
chiropractor pushing around the bones could paralyze you.

An MRI is the wrong diagnostic to start with. You want a nerve conduction test
in both wrists, this will positively diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome. Other
common sources of pain in the hand are arthritis or nerve damage farther up
(shoulder, neck).

As much as I feel MRI is a wonderful thing (designed & built 'em for a
dozen years), yes, unless things have changed quite recently it wouldn't
be a primary test for diagnosing carpal tunnel. If the nerve conduction
in the wrist is OK, then start working upstream to find where the signal
is having problems getting through. MRI is fantastic for visualizing,
for instance, a bulging disk impinging on a spinal cord, but until you
know the signal is good above the wrist, it's not time to go there yet.

That said, an EMG hurts like a son of a bitch, for several days later
even. Combining high voltage, and every muscle in your extremity, make
for a very sore extremity.

I've anecdotally heard that chiropractors can sometimes help with the kind of
back injuries middle aged workers often get, which is basically a too-weak
muscle going into spasm mode.

Yes, muscles in spasm can benefit from physical manipulation.

I have never heard they were otherwise anything
but scam artists. In 52 years I have never darkened their door nor paid for
anyone else to. I guess I don't believe in 'em much.

I've had good luck over the years, but to be honest, a massage therapist
who does deep tissue work works better for me. The bones are out of
alignment because of the muscles; don't just realign the bones, fix the
muscular problems.

I have hand pain too, and it bothers me quite a bit. I have medium carpal tunnel
damage in both wrists, and I'm going to have the operations and see how much if
any it helps before I even go looking elsewhere.

Most people would consider surgery the last resort, rather than
something to try before going to non-invasive approaches.

I can no longer play guitar,
and I can't ride my motorcycle longer than about 45 miles without my hands going
numb. It may be I have multiple things going on too.

Usually works that way, yes.

Dave Hinz

Greg O

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Charles Spitzer wrote:

I've anecdotally heard that chiropractors can sometimes help with the kind
of back injuries middle aged workers often get, which is basically a
too-weak muscle going into spasm mode. I have never heard they were
otherwise anything but scam artists. In 52 years I have never darkened
their door nor paid for anyone else to. I guess I don't believe in 'em
much.

You either love 'em or hate' em!
I see a Chiropractor once or twice a year for a bad back. Go in sore as
hell, and walk out feeling lots better. Sometimes a second trip clears it
right up!
I do agree though, I have seen several different chiropractors over the
years, some should not be allowed to work on a dead chicken.
Greg

Jim Stewart

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

Agreed. I had classic symptoms of carpal tunnel
in my right hand, to the point where I couldn't
steer the car or move the mouse. The sports
massage guy next door had me fixed in 2-3 days
and it hasn't come back.

Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
I've anecdotally heard that chiropractors can sometimes help with the
kind of back injuries middle aged workers often get, which is basically
a too-weak muscle going into spasm mode.

When I was a young teenager I started having lower back pain. I read
that one thing chiropractors do is pull on your legs to stretch your
spine, relieving whatever compression has occurred from posture and
gravity. So I went outside and hung by my legs from Mom's clothesline
pole for a few minutes. end of pain. I've been doing that, or
something equivalent, for 40 years now and it still works.
Eric R Snow

wrote:

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

Grant,
Ask me tomorrow when I see you to tell you about carpal tunnel surgery
and an excellent doctor.
Eric

MM

That said, one of the better signs of CTS is pain that increases at night.

You got that right !!!

It has to do with lower blood pressure and the inhereant tissue swelling
when asleep. If it's CTS you'll also have incidents where you'll do
something simple, like reach for a doorknob or coffee cup, and get "zapped"
by what feels like 10,000 volts through your middle, third, and sometimes
(to a lesser degree) little finger. These are the ones connected to the
median nerve. The thumb and index finger aren't affected. Hurts like hell.

Most people that have real CTS are genetically predisposed to it. My Mom had
it, and she passed it on to me, and all my siblings.

The surgery's a piece of cake these days.

Mark

MM

You got that right !!!

It has to do with lower blood pressure and the inhereant tissue swelling
when asleep. If it's CTS you'll also have incidents where you'll do
something simple, like reach for a doorknob or coffee cup, and get

"zapped"
by what feels like 10,000 volts through your middle, third, and sometimes
(to a lesser degree) little finger. These are the ones connected to the
median nerve. The thumb and index finger aren't affected. Hurts like hell.

Mis info, I meant to say the little finger is the only one "not" affacted
(been awhile since I experienced it). The thumb and index finger are also
connected to the same nerve. In my case, the two middle ones were the most
prone.

Mark

Eric R Snow

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

I had a physical therapist with strong, skilled hands work on my hands
and wrists. He would actually move the bones. This was a tremendous
help in getting scar tissue to stretch. Which led to vast improvements
in flexibility and grip.
ERS
Ron Moore

I have had several aquaintances, and myself to some extant, that have had
symptoms and diagnosis of CTS. In each case, we used topically applied DMSO
(I know, it's a solvent) and relieved the pain, symptoms, and the need for
surgery (in two). It is used by vets quite a bit and will cause a garlic
odor. It does relieve joint pain. FDA does not approve. Make sure that
the area being treated and the hands used to apply it are clean. Some have
made an aspirin paste with it and it will take the aspirin through the skin
with it. Try it, it can't hurt. It beats the heck out of the knife. Good
luck.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

Jim Stewart

Ron Moore wrote:

I have had several aquaintances, and myself to some extant, that have had
symptoms and diagnosis of CTS. In each case, we used topically applied DMSO
(I know, it's a solvent) and relieved the pain, symptoms, and the need for
surgery (in two). It is used by vets quite a bit and will cause a garlic
odor. It does relieve joint pain. FDA does not approve. Make sure that
the area being treated and the hands used to apply it are clean. Some have
made an aspirin paste with it and it will take the aspirin through the skin
with it. Try it, it can't hurt. It beats the heck out of the knife. Good

Were do you get pure DMSO?

I've used it a little bit and my 20-year old
bottle is nearly empty. I've never seen the
miraculous cures that I've read about, but it
does seem to help.

Edwin Bland

Hi Grant,

It sounds like you have multiple environmental factors which could each on
its own produce CTS like symptoms.
Riding a bike or motorcycle is a classic environmental source of median
nerve compression in the wrist. Many times people also get symptoms as a
result of having tight muscles in the neck (compresses the nerve bundle as
it exits the neck musculature). It's also commonly misdiagnosed as a hand
problem... when in fact the problem resides in the neck... and vice-versa...
so do your best to get a good explaination from your health care provider
prior to allowing anyone to cut on you. The diagnosis should make sense....
after all... it's supposed to be science based...

What do you do for work? Often times peoples work or hobbies are the source
of the problem & simply altering the way the activities are done can make
the problems go away.

I agree with the assessment of not wanting anyone to be moving bones around
until the problem has been properly diagnosed by a physician. The good PT's
can make a reasonably good assessment & if it's something that needs an MD
to see... they should refer you back to an MD.... Chiropractors should do
the same.... but in my experience... they often times don't until the
problem is worse than it initially was....

Best Regards,

Edwin Bland

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

Randy Replogle

wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
.. .
What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

You are a victim! Who can you sue??? (end rant)

How's your sugar? Blood pressure? Weight? Only a nerve conduction test
can tell for sure.

I'm not planning to sue anyone.
Randy
Randy Replogle

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:51:36 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
.. .
What are the symptoms? I've had numbness in my palms and fingertips
for a long time. Thinking it was a neck problem I've seen a
chiropractor for several weeks without much improvement. What
exercises help? Thanks.
Randy

have an mri. i had numbness in a few fingers that turned out to be ruptured
disk in my neck, causing a vertebrae pinching the spinal cord. a
chiropractor pushing around the bones could paralyze you.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

I've known that I have a degeneratng disk in my neck for several
years. That's why I guessed that it is a neck problem. My chirpractor
took xrays and said he'd have to treat my like I was "in my 60's". He
has refered me to my MD for problems before and probably will again.
He said I should get an MRI but of course my MD has to prescribe that
to get it paid for,
Randy