Gunner

Default Lagun Lathes

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:02:30 -0400, "JB" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have been checking the FAQ's and Google for information and opinions on
Lagun Republic lathes. I am asking for advice and opinions from the members
of this group. I currently own a South Bend Heave 10. I am a hobbyist and
enjoy having quality machinery. I have looked for quite a while for used
Monarch's (10EE) without much success. The machines I came across needed
too much work and quite frankly, I was intimidated by the electrics and the
problems associated with them.

I read this group religiously and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge that
people are willing to share. I am also confused by the many opinions
expressed about the various lathe manufacturers. It seems that everyone has
a favorite brand or model lathe and for the neophyte it can be quite
confusing. Some love LeBlonds others hate them and that seems to be the
case for most lathes.

I went to a used machinery dealer recently and he had a Lagun/Republic lathe
that he uses in his shop. He likes the machine a lot. It looks like a
Clausing Colchester copy. I was impressed since he has many brand lathes in
his shop but he chose this one for his use. It is an inch/metric machine.

Any advice or comments are sincerely appreciated.

Joe..

Decent lathes. Most are Taiwanese..some are Chinese. However..they are
made very well, for the commercial manufacturing industry, so are
lightyears ahead of a "consumer" lathe .

I would rather own a Lagun knee mill, than any bridgeport.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry