Christopher Tidy

Default Steel Mixtures

Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 23:14:54 -0800, Bill Swears
wrote:

Hi, I'm a fantasy and science fiction writer, and was recommended to
this group for a technical question.

Well, maybe 'technical' is stretching things.

I've written a bit where snaps and shackles were made of a steel. They
tested well in normal temperatures, but shattered under load at about
-40. I used manganese as a placeholder, but would like to use a correct
alloying material to have my 'expert' character tell the journeyman to
"try using a little less (or a little more) X" where X is my manganese
placeholder.

Can anybody help me? Have I provided enough information?

How about purifying the steel rather than alloying it? Perhaps the
snaps and shackles had too much carbon. Mild steel bolts and things
don't seem to snap at -40 here in MN.

Perhaps one of the lurking metallurgists could suggest an additive or
process that would remove carbon as CO or CO2 in the wizard's lair.

Welds are more prone to failure at low temperatures, but you wouldn't
have any welds on snaps or shackles.

Chris