Brian Lawson

Default Lagun Lathes

Hey Joe,

Only seen two that I recall. Both seemed OK, certainly much better
quality than say a Grizzly or other like that, but not as nice as
maybe a TOS. Lots of Lagun mills around, and they rate better than an
actual Bridgeport.

Take care/

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:02:30 -0400, "JB" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have been checking the FAQ's and Google for information and opinions on
Lagun Republic lathes. I am asking for advice and opinions from the members
of this group. I currently own a South Bend Heave 10. I am a hobbyist and
enjoy having quality machinery. I have looked for quite a while for used
Monarch's (10EE) without much success. The machines I came across needed
too much work and quite frankly, I was intimidated by the electrics and the
problems associated with them.

I read this group religiously and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge that
people are willing to share. I am also confused by the many opinions
expressed about the various lathe manufacturers. It seems that everyone has
a favorite brand or model lathe and for the neophyte it can be quite
confusing. Some love LeBlonds others hate them and that seems to be the
case for most lathes.

I went to a used machinery dealer recently and he had a Lagun/Republic lathe
that he uses in his shop. He likes the machine a lot. It looks like a
Clausing Colchester copy. I was impressed since he has many brand lathes in
his shop but he chose this one for his use. It is an inch/metric machine.

Any advice or comments are sincerely appreciated.

Joe..