Ledz

Someone in another group suggested shellac, and I think this is the way to
go- will try it later today. I've nothing against more modern techniques,
just want to try and do it as the makers would have done. Also shellac
should be reversible if things go pear shaped.....
Thanks for all comments
Regards Francis

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Ledz wrote:
Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card
scale which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The
card has come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used
when it was made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as
"gum arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't
think it will stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will
be all over the back of the card and won't come off easily- card
needs to stick closely to the brass to stop things getting jammed -
the extra glue layer may make things too thick.
Any thoughts?

PVA actually sticks well to metal but - as you said - it could mess up
the card. Not so much by a remainder if you have to take it off
(probably wouldn't be able to do so) but by wetting the card in the
first place.

Offhand, I think of two things...

1. Use the PVA but put it just on the metal and let it dry. Once dry,
iron on the card with a hot iron (PVA is thermoplastic). That would
obviate the potential problem of a liquid messing up the card.

2. Use spray contact adhesive like that used for mounting graphics (you
can get it at a framing shop). I don't think it will stick as well as
PVA but should be OK. If you needed to remove the card, lacquer thinner
is the solvent. Which might mess up the card's printing.

Someone suggested cyanoacrylic (Super Glue); personally, I wouldn't use
it in this case. Someone else suggested rubber cement...should be safe
but I have doubts about how well it would stick.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...