DoN. Nichols

According to Gary Wooding :
Bill Schwab wrote:

[ ... ]

One of the more interesting suggestions was to use a collet chuck. My
problem is that google returned so many hits as to be useless. Can some
kind soul who knows what is going on provide a link to the right gizmo
(or refute the idea)?

My (old Centec) mill came with a Clarkson chuck. I found it was a real
chore to have to remove it for drilling. I've now got an ER32 system
which can securely hold any diameter from 2-20mm. It can be used to hold
drills as well as milling cutters. Since you mention 'pounds'
somewhere else I assume you are in UK. If so, take a look at RDG Tools'
website for reasonably priced ER sets. http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Unfortunately, those "pounds" were units of mass, not monetary
units, and while the Clarkson end mill holders are a very nice design,
Clarkson end mills (those with the threaded top end) are *very* hard to
find in the US -- and his email suggested that he is in the US.

I've got Clarkson collet chucks in NMTB 40 taper for my Nichols
horizontal mill (with vertical head), but I don't yet have usable end
mills to try with them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564