Tom MacIntyre

On 7 Oct 2005 03:02:11 -0700, "
wrote:

My friend and I tried a rock. A big one, about a 20 pounder. It
probably didn't help that it was so hard to throw, but that and our
lousy aim from "safe distance" outside the "blast radius" made for an
exhausting ordeal.

I remember that we knocked the phosphor off the inside surface of the
tube with one blow in a very interesting star-shaped pattern. I wonder
if anyone's modeled a CRT with Bessel functions before.

We eventually did smash the front in, and it was quite a celebration
that ensued, but we never tried it again because bashing a TV in is
just too much work.

It certainly wasn't as difficult 30+ years ago...my friends and I
found an old CRT in the woods, and one shot on the front glass with
about a 5 or 6 pound rock and it was a goner.

Tom