Tim Killian

Buy a jug of real way oil (Mobil Vactra #2 or equivalent) to lube the
ways and lead screws. Regular oils don't stay in place.

That explains the drops. At least it's dripping vs. running dry. How
does one know when to stop pumping? I sometimes wonder whether the
ports are filled or I'm missing the target. What is the correct tool to
use with the ports?

Get a squirt can oiler with a needle tip. There is probably a special
hose fitting for those little ball-end ports, but I never used one. The
needle tip pushes in the ball and lets you squirt in a shot of oil. Way
oil contains thickeners that make it sticky enough so a film remains on
lead screw threads and the ways.