Bill Schwab

Tim,

All good suggestions -- heed the advice about getting a 3-axis DRO as it
makes all the difference. Mitutoyo sells a DRO bundle (I bought mine
through J&L) for 8x30 machines that costs about $900 when it's on sale.
I know that sounds like a lot for a mill-drill, but having to deal with
the tiny dials and backlash costs something too - your time.

It is cheaper than I expected, and I will proably get one some day.

Buy a jug of real way oil (Mobil Vactra #2 or equivalent) to lube the
ways and lead screws. Regular oils don't stay in place.

That explains the drops. At least it's dripping vs. running dry. How
does one know when to stop pumping? I sometimes wonder whether the
ports are filled or I'm missing the target. What is the correct tool to
use with the ports?

If you are
worried about rust, mix up some WD-40 and LPS-3 in a 4:1 ratio, and
spray it on all of the metal surfaces after you clean up or before you
mount the vise. And speaking of vises, don't even think about getting
one of those $99 Chinese boat anchors. Buy a real Kurt vise and you will
thank yourself every time it's used.

The mill came with a paper weight shaped like a vice. I forget what I
bought with it (went with the recommendation), but it definitely feels
like a real vice.

Bill