Chris Bacon wrote:
meow2222 wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
meow2222 wrote:

Fl lights should be pointed upwards,

If I "point mine upwards" (ooh-err!) I'll be illuminating a lot
of stuff stored in the foof, and not much else.

Yes, you do need a flat white foof.

What's a shelf/trough fitting?

|_*[]_ -- fl on its side on a high up shelf.

| -- wall

| * |
|_[]_| -- fl in trough.

| -- wall

Those are the 2 standard good practice methods of fitting fls. Both
provide a relatively even wash of light, no direct sight of tube so no
glare, and mechanical protection against breakage.

The one thing you dont want to do is stick a bare light
pointing down, least not if you want half decent lighting.

So you don't think much of the fitting above my bench that's
got a polished reflector pointing down, then!

###
___###___ - like that
/ O \

Nowt wrong with task lighting, but I'll bet you its exessively bright!
Those sort of fittings are not ideal for general lighting tho.

NT