Asimov

" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Oct 05 20:53:31)
--- on the heady topic of " sony triniton 28" tv fell off"

z7 From:
z7 Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344334

z7 About 15 years ago, I thought an imploding picture tube would be cool,
z7 so some friends and I found an old TV in the dump, and while hiding
z7 down behind a mound of dirt 15 or 20 feet away, we threw a heavy metal
z7 fence post at it.

z7 Repeatedly.

z7 Then we walked up to the TV and rammed it with the post or swung at it
z7 over and over again.

z7 Eventually, we got a few cracks in the screen. Nothing dramatic except
z7 that we were all out of breath from taking turns swinging the fence
z7 post. I couldn't believe how tough the glass was.

z7 No idea about the strength of the back side of the tube, though.

If you take the plastic socket off the end of the crt pins you will
find there the a glass nipple that was used for pumping out the air.
Take a triangle file and score a line on one side. Then tap it sharply
with the file. The CRT will whistle "Dixie" for you.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Back when I was a boy, we sucked the air out of our own vacuum tubes!