Chris

Replace power supply capacitor C316 (1000uf 10v) with a 1000uf 32v.
It'll cost you $1.69 at Radio Shack. I had the identical problem and
this fixed it. C316 will be easy to notice, since it will be bulging.

BW wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago. I had been
playing DVDs and CDs nicely till a few days ago. I watched a DVD movie
on it last weekend, and after that I wanted to play some mp3s on it on
wednesday. When I clicked the eject button on it, it came out of power
down mode, and I heard a chirp sound in the speakers and it went back to
power down mode again.

I tried it a couple of times and got the same reponse. I pulled the plug
and let it rest for a while and tried again. Response was same!

Does anyone know where to get the service manual for it? Or does anyone
have some other tips for me? Except the advice of sending it back to
Philips. I would prefer to make it work myself if it is just some
configuration setting which needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance,
/KS