BW

Default Philips DVP642 DVD player not starting up

Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago. I had been
playing DVDs and CDs nicely till a few days ago. I watched a DVD movie
on it last weekend, and after that I wanted to play some mp3s on it on
wednesday. When I clicked the eject button on it, it came out of power
down mode, and I heard a chirp sound in the speakers and it went back to
power down mode again.

I tried it a couple of times and got the same reponse. I pulled the plug
and let it rest for a while and tried again. Response was same!

Does anyone know where to get the service manual for it? Or does anyone
have some other tips for me? Except the advice of sending it back to
Philips. I would prefer to make it work myself if it is just some
configuration setting which needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance,
/KS
Dave D

"BW" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago.

So I presume it's still under warranty?

I had been
playing DVDs and CDs nicely till a few days ago. I watched a DVD movie
on it last weekend, and after that I wanted to play some mp3s on it on
wednesday. When I clicked the eject button on it, it came out of power
down mode, and I heard a chirp sound in the speakers and it went back to
power down mode again.

I tried it a couple of times and got the same reponse. I pulled the plug
and let it rest for a while and tried again. Response was same!

Does anyone know where to get the service manual for it? Or does anyone
have some other tips for me? Except the advice of sending it back to
Philips. I would prefer to make it work myself if it is just some
configuration setting which needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance,
/KS

If you aren't experienced in electronics, the likelyhood of repairing the
unit yourself is slim. Even for a tech, DVD players are often not worth the
time and effort due to ever falling prices of new players.

There's no configurations or adjustments which serve to restore a faulty
appliance, they are there to set the unit up in the factory, and to
compensate for tolerances when new parts are fitted.

If you attempt to adjust anything, you won't fix it, you will add another
problem which will need addressing should the original fault be repaired.
The unit should be under warranty, contact the place you bought it from.
Don't be tempted to remove the covers or you may void your warranty.

Dave

Mark D. Zacharias

"Dave D" wrote in message
newstydnZ2dnZ0GtTqTnZ2dnTOkvt6dnZ2dRVnyq52dnZ0@p ipex.net...

"BW" wrote in message
[...]

If it is under warranty, then by all means make Philips make good on it.

If not buy another brand next time (Pioneer seems to be the most reliable).

Philips consumer-grade stuff is the worst, and so is the company itself.

Mark Z.

Dave D

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
If not buy another brand next time (Pioneer seems to be the most
reliable).

I'll second that.

Dave

BW

Dave D wrote:
"BW" wrote in message

Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago.

So I presume it's still under warranty?

I was kind of afraid because Philips gave only 3month free exchange
warranty and after that a reduced price exchange warranty till 1yr.
However, on advice from people on this newgroup I went to the retailer
and told them the situation. First they said that they will have to ask
Philips to repair it. But when they scanned the device into their
computer system, they said that I could get an exchange. To that I
eagerly agreed

If you aren't experienced in electronics, the likelyhood of repairing the
unit yourself is slim. Even for a tech, DVD players are often not worth the
time and effort due to ever falling prices of new players.

My experience is not too bad in electronics as I have successfully
repaired my TV a few times, audio sytem too, and the latest was my Sony
monitor repair with help from you guys on this newgroup.

There's no configurations or adjustments which serve to restore a faulty
appliance, they are there to set the unit up in the factory, and to
compensate for tolerances when new parts are fitted.

I was referring to the service menu options that can be used via the
remote. But I think in this case it might not have helped.

If you attempt to adjust anything, you won't fix it, you will add another
problem which will need addressing should the original fault be repaired.
The unit should be under warranty, contact the place you bought it from.
Don't be tempted to remove the covers or you may void your warranty.

Dave

Thanks to all who helped with their valuable suggestions.

/KS

Arfa Daily

"BW" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm.

Lots of advice, but not much of it very helpful.

Almost all of the Philips DVDs that I've ever repaired, irrespective of
model, have had a similar fault, and this is one of the PSU secondary side
Schottky diodes short circuit. This may not be the case with your machine,
and I agree with some of the other posters that, for the most part, DVD
players are not worth wasting time on, but it's got to be worth five minutes
of your time with an ohm meter just in case.

Just a word on safety. Remember that this is a switch mode power supply,
which is POTENTIALLY LETHAL. Do not check it or work on it live, unless
doing so on a proper workshop isolation transformer, and even then only with
care, and beware of the main smoothing cap on the primary side, remaining
charged, as it can do on a switcher that's not starting up. Won't kill you,
but may result in a smashed board where you involuntarily sling it against
the wall ... !!

When checking Schottky diodes, remember that they have a significantly lower
forward resistance than silicon types, but will still have a virtually
infinite reverse reading. Any diode that reads low both ways should be
considered suspect, but confirm that by unplugging the PSU output plug, as
you can be fooled by reading across the VFD heater.

Ricki

The DVP642 is a divx player and is worth fixing, most DVD players won`t
play divx, most likely power supply problem. find another dvp642 and swap
power supplies very easy, even if you can`t fix it you should keep it, a
very common player easy to find parts for.
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
"BW" wrote in message
[...]

kaboom

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:43:08 -0400, "Ricki"
wrote:

The DVP642 is a divx player and is worth fixing, most DVD players won`t
play divx, most likely power supply problem. find another dvp642 and swap
power supplies very easy, even if you can`t fix it you should keep it, a
very common player easy to find parts for.

**It also does a nice job of converting PAL to NTSC and is easily
remote hacked to change the region code. I usually use a good DVD
player for regular DVDs. I only use any of my cheapo PAL/NTSC players
for foreign discs to avoid the extra mileage.

kaboomie
BW

Arfa Daily wrote:
"BW" wrote in message

[...]

Even though the Philips guarantee was for a free exchange before 3months
after purchase, I got lucky and the retailer exchanged the DVD player
with one from LG an LDA-530.

I checked the price of the LG player and it was in the same bracket as
that of the Philips one. So I'm assuming that the quality of the
components used in the LG player would be similar to the one used in
Philips. And as you say that PSU component faliure is common in Philips,
should I assume it is possible in the LG one too? The DVP-642 group on
yahoo said that the possible cause of the faliure of the unit could also
be a blown capacitor. Now taking these possible causes into
consideration, I am going to plug-in the DVD player to the power source
only when I'm using it to watch a movie, play audio, etc. I used to keep
the Philips player plugged in all the time. Even though it was in sleep
mode most of the time, but still it was being powered and working at
no-load.

Do you think this is a good approach in elongating the life of the
player? Or should I just take it in that this one won't long last either
and an year of performance would be good enough?

Thanks for all the suggestions,
/KS

BW ha escrito:

Arfa Daily wrote:
"BW" wrote in message

[...]

One of the best ways of prolonging the life of most electronics is
ensuring good airflow and ventilation. stacking amps , players etc. is
a quick way to have them run hot, drying out the PSU caps. If you must
put em in a confined space consider putting a small fan round the back
to circulate air.
Ben

Arfa Daily

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

BW ha escrito:

Arfa Daily wrote:
"BW" wrote in message

[...]

I would definitely go along with that. I also would not recommend powering
and depowering switch mode power supplies all the time. Start up is when
they invariably fail, as that's the time of most stress on the primary side
components.

Arfa

Chris

Replace power supply capacitor C316 (1000uf 10v) with a 1000uf 32v.
It'll cost you $1.69 at Radio Shack. I had the identical problem and
this fixed it. C316 will be easy to notice, since it will be bulging.

BW wrote:
[...]

Hi There!

I was at radio shack and they do not have this part 1000uf 32v
capacitor, but they have 100µF 50V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic
Capacitor which is located at
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=272-1044

will it do a job?

Please respond asap

Thank you!

Chris wrote:
Replace power supply capacitor C316 (1000uf 10v) with a 1000uf 32v.
It'll cost you $1.69 at Radio Shack. I had the identical problem and
this fixed it. C316 will be easy to notice, since it will be bulging.

I want to confirm that I have purchased this capacitor from Radio Shack
1000µF 35v part number 272-1032 and it works!!!!

It restored DVP642 into back working condition. thanks a lot for your
help!!!!