Chuck Sherwood

think it is OK after spending all the bux on a VFD!

VFDs really are not that expensive. About 200 bucks for a new Teco.
The convenience of variable speed and the soft start are totally
worth it. I have several in my shop now and will probalby get
another one for my Clausing Horizontal Mill.

I am totally convinced that a 3 phase motor runnning on VFD
makes much smoother power than a single phase motor. If you
set up the motor parameters correctly, it will protect things
better than a plain overload too. If I start my rockwell mill
in back gear without disengaging direct drive, it grunts a bit
and stops. I suspect it would shread the tiny drive belts if
I was using a RPC. If I turn the speed way down and stick a
drill bit, the VFD kicks out instantly.

disclaimer. My mind is already made up; Don't confuse me with facts!

chuck