Michael Kennedy

I had this happen to my first laptop. I was devistated, but it was a cheapo
laptop I bought for $60 at a police auction. There is no way to fix it
without buying a new lcd panel. I can tell you from working on these things
that there is not much else inside one of these except that pane of glass
you see from the outside. Just a few wires and cables.

- Mike

"Albert Grennock" wrote in message

"Brad Curfman" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with getting a Dell Flat Panel monitor
repaired ? I have a 2001FP that was knocked off my desk this week.
Since this was accidental damage, the monitor would not be
repaired/replaced within warranty.

I've talked to several different departments in Dell the last couple
days, and nobody knows for certain if they can repair the monitor. They
all say to buy a new one. That is unacceptable. The monitor is 3 months
old, so I don't want a new one, I just want to get this one repaired.

Any ideas ? Are there any consumer protection acts/laws that require a
company to offer a repair service for products they sell ? I am totally
fine with paying to have this repaired since it isn't a warranty claim,
I just think it is ridiculous that I should have to buy a brand new flat
panel and trash this one. Half of the screen works, so I can still use
it somewhat, since I use screen sharing between 2 flat panels.

I would say 'bin it' as it will not be cost effective to repair it.

The only other thing I would suggest it for you to open it up
yourself and see if there is anything obvious you could 'repair'.
I don't know how those screen work but I imagine you could
find out just looked actually.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd3.htm

I am guessing some of your liquid crystals have 'escaped' :O)
Don't know how you would recapture them though :O|

Can you change the display at all by pressing on it?

Anyway you have nothing to lose by playing around with it.

A google on "LCD repair" won't do you any harm!!

http://www.man-machine.com/lcdrepar.htm

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net