John Rumm

Maybe Im just odd, but I find lighting like that quite intolerable. 2x
4' tubes would be about right for that.

I have tried with two at a time, and while it is fine for "popping in"
to get something, it is just not nice to work in. I have two lights
mounted mid way along the ceiling:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/images/lights.jpg

and two on the end walls:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop...s/painting.jpg

The ones in the middle on their own are nearly good enough, but the
extra ones on the ends add a little extra warmth to the light and make
it more diffuse. They don't appreciably add to the overall light level
though (probably due to the eyes logarithmic response to light intensity).

The overall effect is just very even diffuse light that while bright, is
certainly not hard on the eyes (for me anyway):

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/images/bench2.jpg

fittings. The one thing you dont want to do is stick a bare light
pointing down, least not if you want half decent lighting.

I would agree with that - if it were not for the diffusers I would have
smashed a good number of tubes so far!! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.