Owen Davies

Ken wrote:
Would you buy it?

Without hesitation, if the machine is in good condition and you can live
with the limited swing and unusual threads on the headstock. Generations
of British turners earned their livings on that machine, all day every
day for decades. A professional turner I knew in New Hampshire had one
that he had started on and kept around for small work, and probably out
of nostalgia. I lusted after it every time I saw it.

OTOH, the Jet minilathe with bed extension is pretty much equivalent to
it, probably cheaper, and with a much more common thread. (And I already
have it.) All it lacks is the 12-inch outboard swing, and you'll get
that and then some when you trade up to a DVR (or a OneWay or Stubby,
depending on your budget.)

Owen Davies