Ken

Default Myford ML 8

Would you buy it?
Ken

Owen Davies

Ken wrote:
Would you buy it?

Without hesitation, if the machine is in good condition and you can live
with the limited swing and unusual threads on the headstock. Generations
of British turners earned their livings on that machine, all day every
day for decades. A professional turner I knew in New Hampshire had one
that he had started on and kept around for small work, and probably out
of nostalgia. I lusted after it every time I saw it.

OTOH, the Jet minilathe with bed extension is pretty much equivalent to
it, probably cheaper, and with a much more common thread. (And I already
have it.) All it lacks is the 12-inch outboard swing, and you'll get
that and then some when you trade up to a DVR (or a OneWay or Stubby,
depending on your budget.)

Owen Davies
LRod

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:37:23 -0400, Owen Davies
wrote:

A professional turner I knew in New Hampshire had one
that he had started on and kept around for small work, and probably out
of nostalgia. I lusted after it every time I saw it.

Was that Russ Zimmerman? I remember he was a Myford dealer and also
taught classes on it. I remember him having ads in Fine Woodworking
back in the '80s or thereabouts.

Is he still around?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Owen Davies

LRod wrote:

Was that Russ Zimmerman? I remember he was a Myford dealer and also
taught classes on it. I remember him having ads in Fine Woodworking
back in the '80s or thereabouts.

No, another guy. Actually, the one I knew was only a part-time turner
and a rest-of-the-time general woodworker, making boxes and clocks and
such. He wanted to turn full-time but at that point--ten years
ago--could not make the transition.

I never met Russ Zimmerman. Always wanted to take lessons with him, but
never had the leisure and the money at the same time. I don't know
whether he is still around. Google delivers a woodturning instructor by
that name in Punta Gorda, FL, but I don't know whether it is the same
one. Will check, as I now live in Florida as well.

Owen Davies
Owen Davies

Owen Davies wrote:
Google delivers a woodturning instructor by
that name in Punta Gorda, FL, but I don't know whether it is the same
one. Will check, as I now live in Florida as well.

At the risk of violating Netiquette by answering my own message, I have
found strong evidence that the Russ Zimmerman in Florida is the same one
who used to be in Putney, Vermont. Will give him a call one of these days.

Owen

LRod

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:00:30 -0400, Owen Davies
wrote:

LRod wrote:

Was that Russ Zimmerman? I remember he was a Myford dealer and also
taught classes on it. I remember him having ads in Fine Woodworking
back in the '80s or thereabouts.

No, another guy. Actually, the one I knew was only a part-time turner
and a rest-of-the-time general woodworker, making boxes and clocks and
such. He wanted to turn full-time but at that point--ten years
ago--could not make the transition.

I never met Russ Zimmerman. Always wanted to take lessons with him, but
never had the leisure and the money at the same time. I don't know
whether he is still around. Google delivers a woodturning instructor by
that name in Punta Gorda, FL, but I don't know whether it is the same
one. Will check, as I now live in Florida as well.

Where? I'm in Ormond Beach

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Owen Davies

LRod wrote:

Where? I'm in Ormond Beach

Port Saint Lucie. About three hours to your south, as near as I can figure.

Owen
LRod

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:45:40 -0400, Owen Davies
wrote:

LRod wrote:

Where? I'm in Ormond Beach

Port Saint Lucie. About three hours to your south, as near as I can figure.

Just a little over two. My late brother's ex lives there. I've gone by
many, many times because my mother still lives in Hollywood. Two of my
aunts winter in Sebastian so we get down that way a couple of times a
season, too. Let me know if you're ever up this way.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Owen Davies

LRod wrote:
Just a little over two. My late brother's ex lives there. I've gone by
many, many times because my mother still lives in Hollywood. Two of my
aunts winter in Sebastian so we get down that way a couple of times a
season, too. Let me know if you're ever up this way.

Will do. Thanks. I'd say the same, but there is nothing to see here. I
have not gotten set up to turn since moving from New Hampshire. Soon,
though.

Owen