Wayne Cook

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:55:25 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

That's a great technique I've used many times, but it doesn't work for
needle bearings, unless they have an inner race (rare) and are sealed.

Agreed. Great technique and idea... But ours look sorta like this:

http://www.mfgsupply.com/img/rotary/29-2949.jpg

What I had in mind was a reverse puller "thing" that spreads out inside the
needle bearing with "hooks" under it somehow... But no such animal exists
that I'm aware of.

They exist but you do have to look for them. I've got a larger
version of what you need in the shop.

I'll try to explain with text though this where a picture is worth a
thousand words.

Start with a piece of round stock the size of the hole you're going
into (actually it could be larger and just turned down to that size on
the end). Turn a "hook" on the end by going undersized a little before
the end. Drill a hole through it lengthwise for a the expander. Slit
the hook end in 2 or 4 segments. Make a tapered expander bolt to go in
the hole of the first. When tightened the taper will force the hooks
out to get a grip.

For the pulling part you've got several options. Either attach it to
a slide hammer or thread the outside and using a nut, washer, and
piece of pipe to do the pulling. More sophisticated is to use a hollow
ram porta power cylinder for the pulling (shouldn't be needed here).

If the above doesn't get the idea across I'll try to get some pics so
that you can understand.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm