Richard Conway

Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , Richard
Conway writes

Richard Faulkner wrote:

In message , Richard
Conway writes

. wrote:

"mark harrison" wrote in
message

BG came round yesterday to quote to replace our old 30 ry old
gravity
system (glow worm hide away) with a new combi.
After we explained our requirements and the extension proposed
for the
property they proposed the following boiler.

Worcester Greenstar 440 Highflow - 201/min, 60l primary store,
twin tap
operation.
So the best bit, with the removal of our old system, quite a bit of
additional pipework, external bricking up, removal of all old tanks,
new radiator valves and wirless control comes to - £4156 (boikler
price
in BG paperwork was £2.2k)

Thoughts and opinions on the quote please.

BG do not do the work, they sub it out to a local company = extra
cost
google will find you a price for this boiler iirc its about £1400 ish

Firm I used to work for did a quote for a new boiler and some other
minor work for £1200.
BG quoted £2600.
Householder thought we were too cheap and might not be around to
provide
guarantee.
They took the BG quote.
BG subbed it to us.
Householder less than pleased.

Well surely it was still BG that would be guaranteeing the work so
the householder should still be happy in the knowledge that if you
went under BG would have to find somebody else to sort it out if the
work was wrong.

How could that make it worth paying an extra £1400 for the same
job. AFAIK, if you get a new boiler, BG will provide a service
contract for around £150 per year - they will probably offer and
recommend the same on their "own" product.

As I implied at the bottom of my post - I wasn't agreeing that this
was a good idea.

Agreed

The reason the householder originally chose BG was that they were
worried the smaller firm might go under rendering any guarentee
useless. On those grounds, even though the smaller firm carried out
the work, the guarentee would still be valid even if they did go under
as it would be BG that would be answerable to the work. Therefore the
householder shouldn't have cared that the smaller firm got the
contract from BG as their reasons for doing what they did still held.

IYSWIM.

Yes, but it would still seem better to use the cheaper quote and get a
service contract. I agree that they may not have thought of this.

Yes, but this option was always available to them, even before they knew
that it was the smaller firm that would get the contract from BG, they
chose not to go for it though.

There is a difference between a guarantee and a service contract - in
fact I would imagine it would be pretty pointless paying for a service
contract on a system where the installation is still fully covered by
the installer's gurantee and the components are covered by their
manufacturer's guarentee.