Stormin Mormon

Couple thoughts. First, if you get the smaller compressor, you may be able
to plumb it in, and use the larger tank as a ballast tank. Hook the air hose
to the larger tank.

Second, try Froogle for 5 HP motors. Or Ebay.

Motors are also available at places like Northern Tools, and Grainger. Might
be less expensive than the Sears motor. If you get the same direction, and
V-belt configuration, the compressor shouldn't know the difference.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had a oilless craftsman 26 gallon 5 horsepower compressor for
about 3 years (I cannot remember the exact SCFM rating but it is 5 &
90psi). It recently starting tripping the breaker within seconds of
flipping the power switch. I was told that the motor would need to be
replaced to fix the problem since individual parts are not available.
I was quote $175 for the repair. I am having a hard time justifying
the repair since I paid $250 for the compressor originally.

I am now looking for a replacement compressor. I would like to keep
the cost down as much as possible, but don't want to scrimp and regret
it again.

My plan was to replace it with a tank with at least the same, but I was
at home depot last night and saw a Ridgid OL50135. It is oil lube 3HP
peak/1.5 running with twin tanks (cap 5 gallons). It delivers 4.8SCFM
@90 psi.

I will not be using the compressor very often, right now we are
remodeling the house so I will be running nailers a few times a week
for a couple hours at a time. Once that is finished, it will go back
to my normal use of using to work on my cars and motorcycles. The most
frequent use would be one full day per weekend, but it is more likely
half a door every couple weeks. I typically run a few air ratchets and
impact wrenches. Once every few months I run a d/a sander or
sandblaster. My d/a sander and sandblaster both require about 5 SCFM.

Obviously the Ridgid would run alot more when I was using a sander or
sandblaster than my craftsman did, but it still would be able to
deliver the same volume of air, correct? The recovery time for the
Ridgid is less than 15 seconds, couldn't find the spec for my
craftsman, but I would say it is at least 30 seconds - 1 minute. Space
is limited in my garage, so the small size of the ridgid would be a
nice benefit.

Should the Ridgid deliver the same amount of air as my crafstman, but
just run more frequently, or do you thing the air delivery will be
lower while it is recovering? Do you think I will damage the Ridgid,
by having it running alot while using a d/a sander and sandblaster?

Any other suggestions on a compressor? I would like to keep it under
$400 if possible, but if I get a solid benefit for spending more, I
will likely do it.

Thanks