charlie b

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Seek therapy now.... turning a weed??? (god, I would love to have a
serious discussion with the person that imported Scotch Bloom)

A weed, by definition, is ANY plant growing where you don't
want it to grow. Size also comes into play as well. In this
case I hav a 3 foot length of the "trunk" that's over 2"
in diameter The "bush/little tree", roots and all, has been
out of the ground for over 6 months. The wood is surprisingly
had, though the grain is not particularly attractive, nor
is its color - a green tinge to it.

But once people know you'll turn anything they start
keeping and bringing over stuff you might be able
to turn. THAT can be good or bad. Tomorrow I'm going
over to a buddy's to get some black walnut, almond and
maybe some olive. He's also got an unlimited supply
of turnable pin oak but I'm going to pass on that stuff.

A friend in Texas is going to send me some Texas Ebony
and some mesquite to try and a tree trimmer neighbor
will keep an eye out for tulip and cherry.

NO ONE has EVER given me furniture making size
wood, especially any special stuff. But turning sized
pieces - I've got a never ending supply.- unless I
start in on bowls and the like.

Given the impending supply of turnable stuff, I headed
up to WoodCraft today, allegedly to get a pair of 40"
Bessy's on sale (reserved them last night) and picked
up a rectangular and long oval 3/4" skew - on sale,
along with a half inch jacobs chuch for the tale stock,
a live center set and the Tormek jig for gouges. Still
need a thin parting tool - for less than $25. Figure
I'm into this obsession/addiction/hobby/avocation
enough to get some semi-serious turning tools
and accessories.

But sometime soon I need to finish the kiln table
and the coopered door cabinet for router bits.

Fun this wood turning thing.

charlie b