Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

"habbi" wrote in message
Actually it must be polyethylene, it is black with a blue strip and rated
for 100psi, I have seen gold stripe which is rated for 160psi I think. It
comes in rolls and is quite flexible. Anyway I also saw this on one of the
websites for other uses and I read somewhere else that the burst strength
is
usually 3 times the working pressure.
"Transportation of Natural/Coal/Gobar gas " I will try it and if it goes
bang so what.

Only High Density Poly is good for natural gas. All of the HDPE I've seen
used in New York is yellow. High pressure services here are around 60 psi,
AFAIK from conversations with the gas utility. It is fairly thick walled and
not quite as flexible as the type you are talking about, which sounds like
the stuff we use to install sprinkler systems.

The black stuff is also available in higher pressure
ratings and is often used in drilled wells with submersible
pumps. I think the pump in our well hangs down about 250
feet on 1" 200 PSI black PE, which means it's been subject
to about 150 PSI continuously for almost 20 yrs. Smaller
polyethylene tubing, up to about 1/2" OD, is common in
industrial pneumatic controls.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the higher rated polyethylene
for a buried air line. I'd keep the transition to the
indoor piping in a protected, but accessible, location.

Ned Simmons