Andy Hall

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:19:07 GMT, "Ron" wrote:

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Chris Bacon wrote:
Is it OK to daisy-chain fluorescent lights - that is, have
one switch, and continue the cable from the first fitting
to subsequent ones?

Be careful with fluorescents if using power tools, there is a possibility
they can 'flicker' at the same spped as a moving blade/cutter/whatever and
make it look almost stationary.

Dave

another thing about fluorescent lights in a garage, when it is cold mine
takes a long time before it stays on steadily, in fact I have had to put
another light socket in with an ordinary bulb because of this. I have a
freezer in the garage and it is annoying trying to find something with the
light flickering .

Ron

Both issues can easily be avoided by using fluorescent fittings
equipped with electronic ballasts.

- These make the light much less sensitive to low temperatures

- Flicker and the strobe effect with rotating machines is eliminated

I used fittings with polycarbonate covers. This also has the benefit
that they are resistant to an accidental whack with a length of wood.

For one fitting, I chose a maintained emergency type. This is useful
in the event of a sudden power failure. I really don't want to be
plunged into sudden darkness when operating a saw, planer or spindle
moulder.

I used 4 pairs of 1500mm double fittings and wired each on a separate
switch so that I can also control how much lighting I want according
to the task.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl