Koz

Nottingham wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:drx0f.301$fE5.277@fed1read06...

"Nottingham" wrote in message

There's a caveat to this rule:

1.a. Everyone wants something done for nothing.

I agree with that. Many workmen want to be paid for work they don't do.

Or

they want to be paid up front and you never see them again. Or they do

10%

of the work, and want 50% of the money because a. their wife is in the
hospital b. they have to pay their guys or c. their dog needs a liver
transplant.

1.b. Everyone wants top quality work and fly by night prices.

Maybe that describes you, but no me. I have paid more than what was fair
many times for top quality work.

Steve

Hey I want a FAIR price. I buy the better/best tool at the best price
possible. If I find a decent vendor with fair pricing and good service I
stick with them.

In my experience there are the following characters when bidding on work:

1. "Cheap ass" (I want world class for nothing) will haggle and complain and
WASTE MY TIME and will NEVER buy (I call them "window shoppers" or
"tourists" or "dumb ass" who thinks they know everything but wouldn't know a
good deal if it bit them in the ass)

2. "Know what they want" and will plunk down cash then and there for the
right price (the "knowledgeable consumer")

3. "Skin flint" (for these you need to double the price then give them a 10%
discount after severe haggling and then chase them for 3 years to collect
your money)

4. "Indecisive" who doesn't really know what they want, changes their minds
300 times and wants changes to the order every five minutes and wastes your
time. You educate them, get them ready to buy, then they give the business
to a "fly by nighter" who shows up in the last second with a low ball and
wins the contract. 6 months later "indecisive" shows up on your door step
to complain about shoddy workmanship and broken promises.

Repeat # 4 over again because they never learn a lesson. Hopefully you
have learned your lesson and won't fall for it...however, it always
looks like you are finally getting the business and we tend to fall into
the trap.

Koz