Randy Gross

Ignoramus11514 wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:06:07 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Ignoramus15937 wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:47:01 GMT, DeepDiver

wrote:
"Ignoramus15937" wrote in

message

You see the weld with slag removed, from both sides. I then
used a chop saw to cut the joined pieces to see what's
happening in the weld. To my surprise, the weld looked like
it was original metal, no sign of any dissimilarity or
boundary.

It's very difficult to see dissimilarity and slight
imperfections in metal that has been rough cut. You should try
grinding the cross-section smooth and flat (a disc sander is
ideal for this) and then polishing it. Then you'll really see
what's going on.

Here's what I tried.

I tried to do some destructive testing. I sliced a small slice

across the weld, put it in a vise and bent 90 degrees. Then I held
it with pliers and banged on it with a hammer, until it bent 180
degrees. It bent and did not break.

The picture of the bent piece is in the same place.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Welding/02-Second-Weld/

If you want to subject it to an even tougher test, cut a longer
length (say 2") and hold it in the vice as before. Then bend it
back and forth instead of bending it just once. Eventually
something will break. If you're really unlucky it will be your vice
:-), but probably it will be the weld. If you did a really strong
weld it will be the parent metal. This type of test shows up slag
inclusions because the repeated bending gives cracks which begin at
the inclusions the opportunity to grow.

Got it. I may try doing that.

As others have said, that's pretty good for a second weld. Well
done. Keep practising and soon you will have something resembling
a rusting modernist sculpture in your back yard!

Thanks, I have plenty of rusting modernist things in my yard.

As you said, I will practice quite a lot.

lid

Slow down i and get comfortable first, this is extremely important. You
can't get a good weld off balance and shaking.

Allow the rod to form a puddle approx. twice the width of the rod. If
you blow through, turn your heat down. You need to find the range your
welder wants to weld at and not a preset, every welder is different. I
only use a meter as a reference.

When the puddle forms, "slowly" lead it across the plate maintaining
the size of the puddle as best you can. "STAY WITH THE PUDDLE". It will
"appear" that the puddle is pushing the rod across the plate. The
result will be a weld of superior quality with a silvery bright line on
either side called fusion lines. Without fusion lines, any weld is
suspect.

rg, aaawelder

http://www.geocities.com/aaawelder/