Eric R Snow

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:08:49 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Bob,
Since I make my living on my machines I tend to see thing in a daily
use production mode. For just occasional use a hand crank is probably
better. That said, if I was doing it for a hobby, I'd put on a three
phase motor and a brake. That's just me, and it reflects my experience
of working in machine shops for so long.
Cheers,
Eric

On my 13 - 40 lathe, from MSC, the motor shaft has a brake disk mounted on
it. Automotive type master cylinder is hosed to a set of calipers and the
whole affair is actuated by a long treadle, within easy reach of any area in
front of the lathe. IMO, your time would be better spent learning to cut
metric threads with a hand crank, etc., than fiddling around with trying to
contrive a brake. Frustrations less; rewards more! You will feel better
about your new machine if you perfect certain difficult procedures first
rather than trying to modify it.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
roups.com...
Sounds like a very interesting modification. Do you have any pictures
or maybe a rough drawing of how the brake assembly is connected to the
gear train? If not, that's OK. Thanks for the detailed explanation of
the setup.

Doug