I think the hand crank is probably my best option. Still would like to
install the brake as an option later (probably after warranty is up).
Setting up 3 phase is also a pretty good idea, but I'm not ready to
make the investment in rewiring and replacing motors.

Started making hand crank last night. Decided to design a model that
will do a clamp fit over the spindle shaft so no machine modifications
will be required (do not want to void warranty). Looks good so far.
Should have finished today and ready for testing by tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Robert Swinney wrote:
On my 13 - 40 lathe, from MSC, the motor shaft has a brake disk mounted on
it. Automotive type master cylinder is hosed to a set of calipers and the
whole affair is actuated by a long treadle, within easy reach of any area in
front of the lathe. IMO, your time would be better spent learning to cut
metric threads with a hand crank, etc., than fiddling around with trying to
contrive a brake. Frustrations less; rewards more! You will feel better
about your new machine if you perfect certain difficult procedures first
rather than trying to modify it.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a very interesting modification. Do you have any pictures
or maybe a rough drawing of how the brake assembly is connected to the
gear train? If not, that's OK. Thanks for the detailed explanation of
the setup.

Doug