Roger Shoaf

My gotcha was a fly cutter. I was wearing a nice Darby jacket, I had the
forethought to pull back my sleeves but I had the jacket unzipped and as I
reached up to kill the power on the Bridgeport, my jacket caught on the fly
cutter and if I did not have my hand on the switch, I would have been in
real serious trouble.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I learned my lesson the same way, about 55 years ago in my Jr. High
school metalshop class.

Why the hell the shop instructor let us wear shop coats with long
sleeves I'll never know. And maybe he warned us to roll up the sleeves
around moving machinery, but it hadn't sunk in.

I was making a little "all metal" cross peen hammer and was smoothing
the tapered part of the handle with a file while it was spinning in a
lathe, driven by a lathe dog.

Predictably, the square head screw on the dog cought the left sleeve of
my shop coat. It must have been weak cloth, or maybe the same guardian
angel who kept me from killing myself in a car was on the job, 'cause
the whole sleeve ripped off, and all I suffered was shock and

embarrassment.

I completed making that little hammer and it is still hanging on my home
shop wall. I can't look at it without remembering how lucky I was that

day.

I've save a whole bunch of J.R. Williams' "Bull of The Woods" cartoons
in digital form. One of them is very OT for this thread. Lookee he