~Roy

I made a spindle brake and cutoff switch for my GHB1340 Jet. With the
loowest speed being 70 its way to high and close in a lot of
situations, and it always made me uncommfortable, expecially when
working close to the jaws or a shoulder or in a blind hole when
threading.

I used a small drum type brake and expanding shoes from a honda ATV,
that is actuated by a foot treadle just like on the lathes that offer
such a foot brake. A flexible cable in a housing (brake cable assembly
from a ATV is what connects foot brake treadle to the brake assembly
which is mounted on the geartrain under the fiberglass cover on head
end. The switch is just a plunger type switch with a roller on it
that I had laying around from the old F-4 Phantom days and was used
on the BLC system. It breaks power to a relay, which in turn cuts
power to regular stop swtich assembly. The relay is a manuala engage
so after stopping it with foot peddle it mst be reset manually with
another switch, which is mounted in the control panel on the top of
the lathe in the space next to the power on green indicator light.

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:33:38 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

===On 4 Oct 2005 09:13:52 -0700, wrote:
===
===(snip)
===
===I have read other scenarios about reversing with other machines, but
===this is designed to run 220V single phase. Any help would be
===appreciated.
===
===DC
===
===I'd suggest contriving a foot-actuated brake that can kill power and
===stop the spindle instantly. My lathe came with such a brake, and it
===is very handy when cutting threads close to a shoulder. At low
===speeds I can always stop within considerably less than 1/4 revolution.
===I usually make a relief groove about .050 wide next to the shoulder
===for the bit to stop in.

"The original frugal ponder"