John Smith

Default Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters

"mich" wrote in message

Five years ago I bought a house with economy 7. I have always intended
changing to solid fuel ( dont want oil, too noisy , smelly and an oil tank
in the garden and LPG is too expensive and still an unsightly tank in the
garden!). Most people in the village have solid fuel. A few have economy 7
Very few seem to have anything else.

As it happens I have never bothered to change. I found that the electric
heating was not as bad as painted. I have never been cold. My fuel bill

is
as reasonable as it would be on either of the other options. It has the
advantage of being clean, even if you do have to watch the weather

forcasts
to decide when to put it on ( especially cold spells in summer).

I cant say as I have ever been cold ( and I am a person who feels the
cold).

In fact they do it cleverly these days. Most recent split-rate
installations are radio controlled and the heaters are turned on and
off by the electricity board when they want. They seem to use this for
load balancing. Our storage heaters go on and off at different times
day to day - sometimes they go on for an hour or so during the day at
odd times (3pm, 11am even 7pm at times!).

Mine is the old fashioned kind. Probably put in late 1970's and seems to
have a mechanical clock timer ( guess it must be triggered by electric
though)
However, I too have difficulty working out when its supposed to come on!

After a three day power cut in the storms a couple of years ago the
supposedly midnight to seven am turned into ten thirty pm to five

thirty
am. recently it seems to have moved forward again but I dont know why.

I have not bothered to get them to come and do anything about it.

Mich, you're not me are you!? Virtually identical story except that I have
had mine for much longer.