George E. Cawthon

Mark wrote:
On 30 Sep 2005 07:46:34 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Well I am talking about a pile of wood outside in the elements, not
wood covered up in panelling and paint

Thanks everyone. Edwin - won't a tarp underneath hold in water?

I pile mine on a 6" bed of gravel and tarp it. Water drains away no
problem. Some of it is over 5 years old near the bottom and shows no signs
of rotting. It's a little gray, but that's about it. Just like cedar
siding......

Although this is probably one of the stupidest
questions because it is so easily answered with
common observation and knowledge, I just have to
jump in. I've seen wood stacked in a wood shed
that has a sand and dirt floor that becomes wet
and has running water every spring when the snow
melts. Wood that had been stacked in that shed
for 15-20 years showed no evidence of
deterioration even for most pieces in direct
contact with the ground. (note I said sand and
dirt floor so the floor was dry most of the time
and the shed was no where close to air tight.)

That, of course, doesn't answer the question, but
indicates that that firewood deterioration should
not be a concern during anyone's lifetime.